I like my books like my coffee : Hot and Dark.

My reviews might contain heavy spoilers! Read at your very own risk.

2016/07/27



The King in the Stone
Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban
(Two Moon Princes, #2)
Publication date: July 25th 2016
Genres: Fantasy, Historical, Young Adult
A full moon,
A silver key,
And the unbending passion of two young loverswill bring hope to a defeated kingdomand, through their sorrow, deliver a kingwho will change its fate.
Vivid visions have haunted Andrea since her arrival in northern Spain. In her visions, the ruins of the medieval village she’s excavating comes alive, and, around the fires burning in the no longer buried hearths, she sees people dressed in furs sharpening old fashioned swords.
Even more upsetting for her that the headaches her visions leave is the fact that Julián appears in them—Julián, the king from her world whose rejection she is trying hard to forget.
But when a slide bury Andrea under the mountain, Julian comes searching for her. Soon after they are reunited under the mountains, the full moon opens a portal and sends them back a thousand years into the past, to a time right after the Spaniards have been defeated by the Arabian invaders.
Separated by a bitter winter, Andrea and Julian are caught in opposite sides in the battle between the Spanish last unconquered settlements and the Arabian army. A battle for survival that will determine the fate of a kingdom and demand of them the ultimate sacrifice: As the Arabs close on the mountains, Julián makes a decision that will break Andrea’s heart and change them forever.
Sequel to:
16139543
EXCERPT:
In the following excerpt from The King in the Stone, Julián makes a fateful decision.
I don’t know how long I remained by the cliff staring down at Andrea’s broken body, so unnaturally still in her white shroud of snow. I don’t know how long I remained by the cliff lost in a world of my own. A world beyond feelings, beyond reason. A world in which, I came to believe, time could flow backwards, and as long as I didn’t move, didn’tbreathe, it was still possible to reverse its course. Andrea would rise from the ledge and climb to my side, and her blood would be warm again inside her body and not a red stain over the snow.
I don’t know how long I remained by the cliff dreaming impossible dreams. Then somewhere down in the valley, a horse neighed and broke the spell.
I shivered. The rush of the fight had left me by now, and the bitter wind blowing through the mountain had covered my body with a frozen dust. If I didn’t leave soon I would freeze to death. Forcing my stiff legs to move, I turned my back to the ledge and started walking.
I didn’t remember going back into the cave and retrieving the sword and the knife from the bear’s body. I didn’t remember grabbing the cloak or picking up Andrea’s arrowfrom the ground or walking down the mountain. The next thing I remember is someone calling my name.
I shook my head to clear my mind and looked around. I was back in the oak grove where we had tethered the horses, and Irene stood in front of me.
I let go of the hilt of the sword I’d instinctively grabbed, and nodded to the girl whosewaif-like face was tense with fear.
“Julián?”
I tried to talk. But no words came.
Irene moved closer and reached for my face. “You’re hurt, Julián. Let me help you.”
“There is no time. We must go. Now. Get the horses ready. I’ll get Theodorica.”
Turning my back on her, I entered the copse.
Her feet and hands bound, a dirty rag over her mouth, Theodorica was sitting on a stump. Her eyes full of contempt didn’t leave mine as I approached her, and when I removed her gag, she spat at me.
In anger, I lifted her and held her against the closest tree. Theodorica struggled like a wild animal trying to break free, and as I fought her back, something snapped inside my mind, turning the throbbing ache at Andrea’s loss into a feral urge to make Theodorica mine. Forcing her face still with one hand, I kissed her. I kissed her long andhard. Not because I cared for her, but because Andrea was dead and she alive, and in the aftermath of death we crave life.
I kissed her out of pain, out of anger and despair. Out of hate. I kissed her until her body grew willing under mine. Only then, I pulled back.
Without a word, I cut her bonds.
Theodorica stared at me.
“You got your wish, my lady,” I said in answer to the question she had not asked. “I’m coming with you to the Arab’s camp.”
Author Bio:
Carmen Ferreiro Esteban is the author of the medieval fantasy Two Moon Princess (Tanglewood Press 2007), and Immortal Love (Crimson Romance 2012). Her own translation into Spanish of Immortal Love can be found under the title Bécquer eterno.
Carmen was born in Galicia (northern Spain) and went to college in Madrid, where she finished her Ph.D. in Biology. She worked as a researcher in Spain and California, before moving to Pennsylvania, where she now works as a writer, editor and translator.
For more information, please visit her website www.carmenferreiroesteban.com/, or reach her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AuthorCarmenFerreiroEsteban?ref=ts.


0 Comments:

Trimiteți un comentariu

Follow on Twitter

Popular Posts

Search on blog

Un produs Blogger.

WARNING !

REVIEWS AND THOUGHTS POSTED HERE MIGHT CONTAIN (HEAVY) SPOILERS ! READ AT YOUR VERY OWN RISK !